Each habitat has distinct features that characterize it. Divide the class into 6 groups. Assign each group one of 6 habitats (listed below). Ask them to research all about their habitat. They can use the Biomes of the World database to learn about their habitats.
1. Grasslands (African Savannah)
2. Temperate Forest (Northern Deciduous/Mixed Forest)
3. Tropical Rain Forest (African)
4. Desert (American)
5. Ocean Habitats
Goals and Essential Questions:
1. Student should know all about their habitat and be able to describe it to others.
2. Students should creat a descriptive MODEL of their habitat in the form of a mural, poster, diorama, film script, tourist brochure or other creative product that they will present to the class. The goal of the presentation is for all students to get the feel of each habitat.
3. Students should be able to answer the following Focus Questions about their habitat in their presentation.
Which animals are in your habitat?
Which tree and/or plants might be in your habitat?
Which land formations are found in your habitat?
What kinds of waterways are in your habitat?
What is the weather like in your habitat and how does it change throughout the year?
What adaptations have they developed to survive in their habitat?
To get your students started, print out the habitat posters below: