Disciplinary Core Ideas
ESS2.A: Earth Materials and Systems
• Wind and water can change the shape of the land. (2-ESS2-1)
ESS2.B: Plate Tectonics and Large-Scale System Interactions
• Maps show where things are located. One can map the shapes and kinds of land and water in any area. (2-ESS2-2)
ESS2.C: The Roles of Water in Earth’s Surface Processes
• Water is found in the ocean, rivers, lakes, and ponds. Water exists as solid ice and in liquid form. (2-ESS2-3)
ETS1.C: Optimizing the Design Solution
• Because there is always more than one possible solution to a problem, it is useful to compare and test designs. (secondary to 2-ESS2-1)
Use the Template and Resource Links to Fulfill NGSS
NGSS Note: Think, question, entertain ideas.
ll. Introductory Activities to Assess Prior Knowledge
A. Simple Activities - that assess students’ understanding of the effect of wind and water on land.
Question: What are some places that have been affected by wind and water erosion you know about?
1. Break students down into groups of 3-4.
2. Ask students to generate a list of places that have been affected by wind and water and briefly decribe them (i.e. Grand Canyon).
lll. New Knowledge - Text
A. Read about the effect of wind and water on land (i.e. erosion).
Examples of Models (depicts the concept expressed in the reading):
Ask students to look at the models of weather and nutrient cycle and explain how each illustrates the concept.
lV. Experiments, Activities, Model-making (Critical Thinking)
Inquiry related to Earth's waterways and erosion:
V. Summarize Knowledge - Enduring Understandings
When you research information you must cite the reference. Citing for websites is different from citing from books, magazines and periodicals. The style of citing shown here is from the MLA Style Citations (Modern Language Association).
When citing a WEBSITE the general format is as follows.
Author Last Name, First Name(s). "Title: Subtitle of Part of Web Page, if appropriate." Title: Subtitle: Section of Page if appropriate. Sponsoring/Publishing Agency, If Given. Additional significant descriptive information. Date of Electronic Publication or other Date, such as Last Updated. Day Month Year of access < URL >.
Amsel, Sheri. "Grade 2 - 2-ESS2 Earth’s Systems" Exploring Nature Educational Resource ©2005-2019. July 16, 2019
< http://www.exploringnature.org/db/view/Grade-2-2-ESS2-Earthrsquos-Systems >